I’m assuming that most of you aren’t gluttonous sweet pea piggies* who bought too much produce and are now trying to figure out how to consume the remaining 2lbs of veggie goodness like I am, but just in case (or just in case you want a delicious recipe either way), I give you: Roasted Sweet Peas.
*I kept writing “sweat pee piggies.” My subconscious is a messed up place.
- Sweet peas (or any other pea variety you fancy)
- Chopped garlic and/or shallots
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Red pepper flakes (amount varies by how much mouth burning you want)
- Lemon juice
- Cheese (Parmesan, blue, etc.)
- Bacon (cooked)
- Pine nuts (I didn’t have any)
- Toss peas with olive oil, chopped garlic/shallots and red pepper flakes
- Spread seasoned peas in a single layer on a baking sheet and put under the broiler
- Watch the peas! It should only take 2-3 minutes for the shells to begin to bubble and brown and then they’re done
- Sprinkle the peas with lemon juice, cheese, pepper, pine nuts and bacon. And then add some more bacon because you know you were being foolishly moderate with your first application
- (Because I add cheese I leave off any additional salt. If you’re going cheese-less, however, a little coarse sea salt would be delicious)
I timed it and this dish takes 5 minutes start to finish (8 minutes if you include the eating bit) and it’s delicious.